Impact Hub Oakland is a vibrant community of socially engaged people who are committed to creating a better world. We enable purpose-driven people to grow and thrive by creating access to transformative ideas, supportive relationships, serendipitous encounters, and business expertise. We provide an onramp for diverse populations to incubate new mission-driven businesses and create local jobs and global solutions. This is a place of convergence where people who are creating a thriving, just and sustainable world come to co-work, co-learn and collaborate.
Position Title: Operations Manager
Position Overview Impact Hub Oakland’s collaborative workspace transitions to an event space for community and public events in the evenings. We are looking for a friendly, outgoing addition to our team who is equally comfortable with and interested in interacting with the several hundred members and events attendees who come into our space on a daily basis, as well as making sure that the space and all of the systems are functioning smoothly so that everyone has what they need for a seamless and productive experience. This position is responsible for maintaining and troubleshooting all of our operational systems and processes, and being the point of contact with vendors and service providers that repair, service and supply our business. This is a great position for someone with operations experience, who is interested in learning about the runnings of a co-working space and supporting the infrastructure that makes the Impact Hub such an awesome place. The following will be part of this position’s daily activity:
The Basics – Space & Systems Maintaining and troubleshooting our systems, and maintaining vendor relationships to keep the building and space operating smoothly.
- Monitoring and troubleshooting system issues (e.g. wifi, power, security, building systems, etc), and serving as the point of contact for the Property Manager, IT Service Provider, or other vendors to get everything back online.
- Maintaining a clean, temperature consistent, energy efficient space
- If needed, developing temporary workarounds to provide minimal disruption of services to our members and guests.
- Managing a small team of Work-trade volunteers to keep the space functional and in good repair.
- Working with the Hub staff to ensure they have supplies needed for proper and complete setup of coworking space and event rentals (including privacy booths and conference rooms).
- Maintaining the smooth and efficient flow of all supplies, resources, and materials needed to operate the business, as well as outputs such as waste.
- Managing, maintaining and procuring physical assets such as furniture and fixtures
- Managing and maintaining security systems for building access including keys and access card systems, security alarms and camera systems
Private Offices & Dedicated Spaces
- Responding to new private office & dedicated space inquiries, and directing people to fill out the waiting list
- Negotiate new/renewal private office agreements, and dedicated spaces including rates, and amenities with final draft approval by the CEO.
- Managing shared offices & fielding requests to share offices
- Managing all aspects of office and dedicated space onboarding and offboarding with key IHO staff (e.g. Host team, Billing)
- Coordinating with office members to provide cleaning and repairs as needed
- Troubleshooting facilities issues and building systems
- Ensuring the facility is clean and well maintained
- Interfacing with Hive property manager on major internal/external facilities issues beyond the normal scope of work and signed building lease.
- Maintaining building compliance with local codes
- Managing maintenance projects
- Interfacing with all relevant vendors and service providers for repairs to get competitive quotes
Vendors & Suppliers
- Responsible for procurement and vendor relationships related to facilities, systems, and security management, hiring and removal of vendors
- Responsible for negotiating deals with suppliers and vendors to reduce operating expenses.
- Developing and implementing cost-cutting initiatives related to energy and resource usage.
- Overseeing inventory and supply ordering
- Other duties may be assigned as needed.
Successful candidates will be/have:
- Must be 21 years or older (because there will be events where alcohol is served that will need require your attention)
- Significant experience and history of delivering excellent customer service setting is required. Hospitality experience is a plus.
- A clean presentation on a daily basis.
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Computer proficient with experience with basic computer platforms (Gmail, excel, word, Google drive, etc.). Willing to learn new platforms without hesitation.
- Mastery of English-language with effective in-person communication and online communication skills
- Creative problem solver willing and able to work independently and collaboratively. Takes joy in working collaboratively with all IHO team members and understands that it takes everyone working together to create an exceptional member’s experience and a successful business.
- General handyperson skills useful to an active workspace
- Comfortable in a fast-paced work environment with five to ten unique events per week
- Interest in Social Enterprise and other change sectors
- Ability to lift and carry 25 pounds and be able to walk up and down stairs
Work Schedule & Arrangements: Part-time position (30-hour max per week). Early morning, evening and/or weekend hours may be required.
Benefits: Dental and vision benefits, worker’s compensation, unemployment insurance, and sick leave are included.
Reports to: CEO
How to Apply? Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Impact Hub Oakland is an equal opportunity employer and places a high value on workforce diversity. We want to have the best available person in every job. Impact Hub Oakland policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition including genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. It also prohibits unlawful discrimination against a person who is perceived to have any of those characteristics or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics.